Day One - Heathrow to Malta/Valletta

Autumn has well and truly arrived in London. This morning was dark, wet and cold. I caught the first train on the Bakerloo Line (7.15am) and made my way to Paddington to catch the Heathrow Express.  Much to the annoyance of some American travellers, it really was not much of an express today; well unless you count 20 plus stops on the Piccadilly line as swift. There had been overnight maintenance work on the track, so the express had to take it easy, as you do on a Sunday.

Today I was flying from Terminal Four.  I have never flown from this terminal so I had to get off at Terminal 2/3 then catch another train to the terminal. I really do have to ask myself why some people travel. As you approach security there are numerous signs telling you what you can, and more importantly, what you cannot, take through security.  I have to admit I have got this down to a fine art now, even talking off my bracket as I know that makes the alarm go off. The woman in front on me, who had more make up on than I would wear in a year (not judging; just saying) said that she had all her make up not in a clear bag, as stated 50 times plus before she got to this point, but in her make up bag, but they could have a look if they wanted! Words fail me. There really should be an IQ test when applying for a passport.

Quick tour around the Duty Free (as you do) and a bottle of perfume later it was time for a coffee and take stock and watch the world go by. The flight was called
and I have never seen as much grey hair, walking and moaning, in my life.  Now don't get me wrong, if I did not have my hair coloured I would, by now, have a few of the little darlings, however, this was different.  The three women sitting in front of me on the flight did nothing but moan, play their iPad out loud as one of them did not realise the it was not playing through her headphones but out load for us all to enjoy.  At take off time the obligatory boiled sweets were offered around (the same at landing). Meanwhile, behind me, the bloke was obviously going to travel all the way to Malta in the lotus position, the number of times he kicked the back of my chair.  Couple all this with the slow inflight service from the crew and it all resulted in the headache from hell.  When I finally got my overpriced coffee and two paracetamols, I promptly fell asleep.  There really has to be a lot said for long haul.  I was expecting them all to clap when the pilot had landed the plane, or doing as I put it, their job! Fortunately  this did not happen. Arrival was OK apart from the 'others' moaning about the EU passport lines and how we will no longer have them when Brexit happens.  I suspect, these are the people who voted for it in the first place! Reap what you sow!

My AirBnB host had arranged a taxi for me and for the first time in my new life, I cleared customs and had someone waiting for me; holding my name on a piece of paper. It did not take long to get to my accommodation and my hosts seem a lovely couple.  I did not want to stay by the sea with the loved up couples, or screaming children or the blue rinse and boiled sweets brigade.  I chose something that I am more familiar and comfortable with!  My host's apartment is gorgeous and I have a lovely room, with plenty of space and my own bathroom too. They also have a gorgeous boxer dog who, like most boxers, is mad!  Me being me, has taken some treats for her, so we shall be friends forever!  All this for £22 a night.  Who needs five star hotels.  My hosts told me what local apps to download and where the bus stop was and then they went out.  I unpacked (a bit) then decided to venture out to Valletta.

The bus stop is just round the corner and the trip into Valletta costs 2 Euros.
I did not have no idea where I was going, so I did what I aways do, watch everyone else.  It was apparent when we had arrived at Valletta.

First impressions were impressive. Plenty of old architecture which is mixed and looks like it is from a Second World War film, but impressive. One of the reasons why I had decided on Malta is because it is the European Capital of Culture, or
something similar (a little bird told me this months ago, well another time wasting, fuck wit, but you get the picture).   I did my usual thing of wandering around, taking photos and absorbing the atmosphere. I love going to new places as they are so exciting yet strangely familiar.  In Malta they drive on the same side of the road as us, they have red pillar boxes, the plugs are the same (so much for me taking my European plugs for a holiday), most things are in English; yet it feels very Mediterranean and even Arabic/Turkish.  That is history for you.  Every country has been influenced by another. I wonder if the blue/grey rinse brigade consider this at any point?

I found a lovely place to eat that did the most amazing vegan and vegetarian food.  For any of you know about my adventures to Japan, you will realise what a huge success this was.  I was sitting there, minding my own business, eating
my dinner when this woman (aged about 65) walked over to me, leaned over my dinner plate, and with her index finger virtually touched my food and said 'Do you know what this is?' I was flabbergasted, this does not happen very often and I hate people messaging around with my food.  I said 'It was my dinner' and gave her a look to kill. She asked what it was called and how much it was, I told her to go and look at the menu. An Austrian couple next to me could not believe it and we actually had a chat and laugh about it.  That bloody sign over my head, I tell you, it follows me everywhere.  However, the food was bloody lovely.

I had a look around and then went for a drink and sat and watched the world go by.  I decided then to make my way back to my room.  It had been a long day and I wanted to get some water and have a shower and plan my day for tomorrow.  My hosts were not in when I got back so I sorted myself out and are now writing up this and planning tomorrow's adventure.  I have been watching the weather for the next few days and it looks as if tomorrow is going to be dry and warm, so I will certainly make the most of that.

As always, with my love x

Valletta
Look up!

Valletta








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Six - Birkakara - Home

Day Five - Gozo

Day Four - Valletta and beyond