Day Six - Birkakara - Home

Like every adventure in life, time has come for it to cease.  My host's lovely flat is in a town called Birkakara a town in the central part of Malta.  It is ideal for me as the guys have been so helpful, friendly and a good laugh. The flat is a 3 minute walk to the main bus stops that have got me all round this lovely island. There is a mini market just up the road for the obligatory bottles of water you buy when travelling. All in all it has been a fantastic little find.

I had a few hours to kill this morning so thought I would go and actually look at Birkakara itself. I have only seen bits of it travelling through, oh and the night I caught the wrong bus and did not know where I was (that all seems a long time ago now). Friday is market day. I thought I would get all packed up and ready to roll then venture out and see what I have been missing since I have arrived.

My little trip to the market was rather lovely.  I walked around like a local and at one point a man said something to me in Maltese. I explained to him that I was
English and do not speak any Maltese and straight away, in perfect English he said that he was commenting on the price of the fish and how expensive it was and now the stall holder had far too much left to sell. I said economics my friend and we both laughed. I also sat in the local eatery having yet another one of the far too decisions cheesy pastries and a coffee. I was the only one there not local, but it did not matter. A smile, a gesture and you can communicate.  It got me thinking about Brexit and what a bloody mess it all is. We have far too much in common with our European
neighbours to ostracise ourselves from this family.  It is such a terrible shame and I cannot help thinking that future lives for many will be at a disadvantage for many years to come. In fact my hosts, Simon and Stev, when were talking about it actually said that the UK is being dragged back 20 years.  What can I say, I said I feel that I need to be apologising for this dreadful decision. I spend my life apologising. For the ‘straights’ and their ignorance and discrimination of the gay community and now for the Brexiteers and the fateful mistake of wanting to leave the European Union.


I went to the pet shop and bought Layla a huge bone and then made my way back to the flat. Simon had gone out to ‘beautify himself’, Sven’s words, not mine. So Sven and I sat with a coffee and moaned about men, whilst Layla was more than happy with her huge bone.  See, we are all the same!  Simon returned (looking buffed and beautiful) and we exchanged phone numbers and said that we must keep in touch. They are
The lovey Sven and Simon - my hosts
hoping to come to London in a month or two and we agreed we would meet up for a drink. Simon wants to go for afternoon tea. I said to them that whilst I do not know the Queen personally; I do know many other Queens that could join us. We did laugh. So I now have two new Maltese friends. 

Travel gives you this; friends all over the world. You may not ever see them again, or it may be years before your paths cross again, but you still have friends. I feel very blessed. 13:00 arrived and so did my taxi. We said our goodbyes, with huge hugs and kisses and I said that I will see them in London (I really do hope I do). Lyla was, for once, not interested in me as the bone was far more interesting. It did not take long to get to the airport. Checked in, cleared security and sat back and relaxed.  

Malta is a lovely place. I could, if I wanted to, imagine myself growing old there. It has a good pace of life, warm climate and English is freely spoken. However, as I am only 29, there are still so many other places in the world I need to explore.  Next up, in November, is Hungary and a trip to Budapest. However, me being me, I am busy planning 2019.  In the pipeline is India in September/October.  So if you are reading this David, this is your 12 month warning! I also quite fancy the idea of Korea or Vietnam. We shall see.  I have a Master’s Degree to finish and a dissertation to submit. However, those of you who know me will know that you always have to have something ready up your sleeve.

As always, with my love x





Comments

  1. It does sound a nice trip, although probably just for a short break. The trouble with travelling this time of year is that there is always a lot of older people. Not all old people moan; I know plenty of older people who are content and happy. Really you just need to avoid negative people and not get drawn into their conversations.
    I'm glad you got on well with your hosts; that always helps. I've found the people on Airbnb to be a mixed bag.
    Budapest was nice. I enjoyed the spas and the ruin pubs (these bars full of an eclectic mix of junk rummaged from old factories). And the Jewish ghetto is interesting; I did one of those free walking tours around the ghetto. It's a very interesting history.
    I've been looking at Vietnam; I have to go somewhere in December when my 3 months are up and I thought either Vietnam or Taiwan. But we will see. Valetta looks nice and I think that would appeal to me, although in reality I'm not so keen on small islands. It's quite funny what you said about the English shops, have you ever been to Gibraltar? Just like that with all the ex-pats over from Spain buying their M&S knickers and Morrisons Worcester sauce.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love Budapest. Great blog of Malta. I need to go back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Five - Gozo

Day Four - Valletta and beyond