Day Five - Gozo

I have said it so many times, everyone should travel, alone, at least once in their life. From the minute I arrive somewhere new I change.  New sights, sounds, smells and languages. It ignites my soul. Travelling lets me be the person I want to be - free. I can decide when or what to eat, where to sleep, what to do with my day.  OK I guess my life now is somewhat like that already, but travelling gives me freedom - no 9-5, no timescales, no deadlines and no
rushing around. All I need in life is in one of my trusty suitcases with my bag on my shoulder. I stay in cheap accommodation, I smile and speak with the local people, I eat the local food and I sit and watch the world go by. When you travel, life is not a fashion show, you can wear the same thing day in day out, no one cares if your shoes don't match your dress.  I can change my plans with a blink of an eye, I can see a different route and take it.  Travelling shows you a side of yourself you may not be familiar with, it makes you fearless, adventurous and grateful for what you do have.  Travelling is not about just seeing something new, it is about leaving something behind, the old you, your misconceptions, your assumptions, your anxieties and your comfort zones. Travel makes you push back those boundaries and lets your inner child out to play.  Do not fear the experiences travel gives you, just embrace it with a smile - the rest is easy. Go on, I dare you, give it a go!

This morning I was back on the bus to Kirkewwa to catch a ferry (this time a very big boat) to Gozo. Gozo is an island of the north coast of Malta.  
Fortunately, it was a very big boat as the weather was rough; warm but windy. I quite like my windswept hair now, it give it a bounce.  The boat was very busy, it is a roll on roll over ship and I was so surprised how many cars and lorries it could hold.

I got off the ferry and caught the bus into Victoria, the capital.  I do like my bus pass, it was a good 21 euros well spent. My hosts told me where to visit whilst I was there and they were not wrong. At Victoria there is the mot beautiful citadel, absolutely stunning. I sat and had a coffee in the beautiful square, reading my book and watching the world go by.  It reminded me of the Marigold Hotel and how Dame Judy just adapted quite easily living in India.  I know I would be the same.  I walked back to the bus station and caught another bus to the north of the island to a place called Marsalforn, a seaside resort.  It was so windy, but I do like the seaside in Winter, even though technically, it is not Winter. However, things have changed in the past few days. Quite a few of the restaurants have now closed up and those that are open are only serving
indoors. Also, there are many Staff Wanted signs up. The guys at the AirBnB said it is because school has now gone back so the older students, who work during the summer, have now returned to college.  I had a look around and watched the waves crushing over the wall, it really was quite fierce.  I had some lunch then caught another bus which went the other way around Gozo, it was lovely just to see all the small, beautiful villages.

Most of the property in Malta is made of stone and have flat roofs.  I heard this is because flat roofs can collect water. Also, there is a lot of God in Malta. I read that there are 365 churches, one for every day of the year.  I can see this. Everywhere you go, there is a church and they are stunning.  

Made my way back to the ferry port and got on board the ship. I decided to sit up on the sun deck, watching Gozo get smaller and smaller.  It really is a 
beautiful place.  The journey back is over an hour on the bus so I decided that I would get on the first bus that leaves the bus station and have an adventure home. I ended up in Sliema (again) and it was flooded because of the waves coming over the sea wall. So I decided to get on another bus to Valletta and eat there. I do like Valletta, it really is beautiful.

When I got back home the boys were there and we sat and had a lovely chat about life and the troubles it can bring. It was so relaxing and it is as if I have known them all my life. It has been an excellent place to stay and they are great hosts.  It has been a good trip, but it is not quite over yet.

As always, with my love x

Comments

  1. I really love reading your blogs Karen, it all sounds amazing :) hope you have a fab last night.
    Chat soon love you to the moon and back always xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Six - Birkakara - Home

Day Four - Valletta and beyond